View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
DOHCschwab
EcoModding Lurker

Accord - '95 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 27.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Hey,

I got the Hybrid Automotive grid charger when my 03 HCH started throwing low battery codes. It was a real kick seeing the voltage output slowly climb over the next several hours.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that my battery also has a small short in at least one cell, since I've never gotten to the point of ramping down the current to finish off the battery at peak voltage. But even so, whenever I get the low voltage code - I don't even put on the reader anymore, I just see the IMA light and put it on the charger overnight - the grid charger is sufficient to balance the pack enough and usually, with a couple of overnights on the charger, it's good for at least six weeks of IMA light-free driving.

That's a lot cheaper than a new pack. I'd love a new pack, especially the upgraded, high-capacity models some places are touting. But this was affordable, so here we are. And it keeps the car's fuel economy in the stratosphere, so it's all gravy to me.
Wonderful info! Thanks

I've read up on chargers and Hybrids seems to be the way to go. I haven't shopped for a good price but did notice that on ebay they go for about 430+14= $443. Anyone reading wanna chime in on a better place to buy from?

Thanks