View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 01:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
CitroX, your car looks really great! 4.5 L100 is definitely a nice figure! How is your driving style? Do you follow the traffic stream and speed? Do you plan your driving for DWB (driving without brakes)? What is your average cruising speed?

For a long time I was surprised by how much fuel could be saved by not using the brakes on my 40 year old Saab 96. I reduced fuel consumption from about 7 l/100km down to 6 L100 this way. My cruising speed at highway is about 80 km/h and the transmission is 4-speed. Many vintage Saab enthusiasts agree on a fuel consumption between 6 and 8 litres per 100 km on these cars.

When I started to practise PnG (pulse and glide) with engine shut down during the glide cycles and while standing still I have managed to reach down to only 4.5 l/100 km, and I have no aeromods at all! It would be verry interesting to see what could be done with Citroplanas if it is driven an a rather extreme way. I think it's mainly about hitting the sweetspot of the engine's BSFC-map, i.e. the area where the engine is running the most efficient, wich usualli is at about 70-90% of maximum throttle a little above maximum torque, any time the engine is running. If the engine can's be kept near the sweetspot, shut it down and coast until it's time for next "burn cycle".
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAh For This Useful Post:
benphyr (08-07-2014)