View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 06:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
JohnAh
EcoModding Apprentice

Phantom Blot (Spökplumpen in swedish) - '75 Saab 96 V4
90 day: 52.77 mpg (US)
Thank's benphyr! It has taken some time for me to understand how this works, and that it really does. When I first read about PnG and that it can save up to 30% fuel I tried the wrong way and got quite disappointed. I later found out the importance of NOT giving full throttle, because of the carburettor's (or fuel injection's) full throttle enrichment.

To save 30% it is also of great importance to stop the engine when acceleration is not needed. "Digital driving" may be another way to put it. I often think about where you find the world's most skilled eco-drivers - At NASA and others in aerospace industry!
Rocket engines usually work quite digital in on/off cycles, or burn cycles. All excess speed from a too long burn cycle will sooner or later have to be counter-acted and the only way to reduce excess speed in space is a reverse burn cycle, wasting precious fuel. The only way to save maximum fuel is to never burn more than just needed to reach the goal. If you must use the brakes, you have failed!