View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Radiator hood vent?? Aero, cooling, WAI, all in one??

Off and on lurker as I research my crazy ideas... I hope this is the best section for this, if not hopefully an admin or mod can move it to the appropriate section.

In many high end vehicles you see hood vents at about the break over point of the hood, I'm assuming this is the start of the pressure zone in regards to air flow (see image 1). And in some extreme race cars and high speed vehicles this is actually the exhaust/exit for all air allowed through the front of the car for the cooling system. It is a sealed "chute" or tunnel from the air dam/bumper through the rad/intercooler/etc and then out the hood (see image 2). It's almost always used in hill climb and time attack cars to maximize cooling with the super high powered and boosted engines. Couldn't this be easily adapted for ecomodding to utilize a front air dam (or blocking of all other openings in bumper) and maintain cooling (see image 3 & 4)? Wouldn't this allow for better control of front aero/resistance by channeling the incoming air and removing engine bay resistance (possibly combined with belly pan), engine temps would be kept low in the face of overly hot engine compartment temps, and create a warm air environment suitable for removal of filter box and modification to cone filter, removing the need to fabricate a WAI? I'm not sure if I'm truly explaining myself, but I hope that made sense. Images 5-10 are of builds done on various cars and engine configurations. The AMS build changes the orientation of the rad, the second Mitsu build maintains stock orientation. I feel like the design for the mitsu could be modified for most Fwd engine compartments. I hope it's ok that I linked to other sites/forums, I'm not affiliated with any of them... Just wanted to give appropriate credit to someone else's work.

I look forward to hearing from some of you ecomodding and aero experts!!!

~C

1.)

2.)

Following images found here Radiator Hood Vent - Miata Turbo Forum - Turbo Kitten is watching you test compression.
3.)

4.)

Following images from here The AMS Unlimited AWD TA EVO X build! - - Page 3 - Time Attack Forums

5.)

6.)

7.)

following pictures from My ducted radiator setup - road racing | Page 4 | DSMtuners

8.)

9.)

10.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chillsworld For This Useful Post:
adriann (08-06-2015), aerohead (08-09-2014), pgfpro (08-15-2014)