View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Interesting.... I assumed you were going to mention the reverse cowl hood like you see on many v8 powered vehicles or the hood vent like you see on a hummer. I think in the hummer the radiator maybe horizontal vs vertical so if someone takes a shot at the grill it wont suffer an instant water leak.

It was my understanding that cowl *induction* hoods are for sucking in cooler air that forms a high pressure pocket at the windshield and not for actual ventilation of the engine compartment? This would seem to be counter productive from a W.A.I. as well as an aerodynamics standpoint.

That being said, I like cowl hoods, and perhaps you would adapt a cowl type structure to better control the flow of exiting air and deal with rainwater/foreign objects falling down the hood chute. Rather than a cowl for venting/inducting cooler air to the bay, the cowl would just be the exit of the radiator air flow.

Hadn't considered the idea of a minor fender bender instantly cracking you radiator or worse... I suppose one could incorporate a crumple zone into the lower chute? Maybe use thin ABS plastic that will flex with some sort of fabric wrap to keep air from leaking at the seams?

~C