View Single Post
Old 08-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
My mention of pic#1 was distracting; I meant what range of vehicles are you considering. I assume front-engined and water cooled.

Here are some mid- and rear-engined examples that might be instructive.

Under the skin the structure of the Toyota racer is remarkable similart to a long A-arm off-road racer. F1 cars also use a high pointed nose tip, overhanging their front wing.

The Porsche Boxter uses two radiators in front of the wheels. They also cheat the duct length-equals-radiator-height rule of thumb with deep pockets for wind tunnel hours.

Old Tele man is probably thinking of the P-51 Mustang that got measurable thrust from the cooling sustem.

Meredith effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
If the generated thrust is less that the aerodynamic drag of the ducting and radiator, then the arrangement serves to reduce the net aerodynamic drag of the radiator installation. If the generated thrust exceeds the aerodynamic drag of the installation, then the entire assemblage contributes a net forward thrust to the vehicle.
(Adding the cowl hood scoop to your race car ducting would add skin friction and exit in a high pressure area.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
chillsworld (08-12-2014), ECONORAM (01-03-2017)