View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
bschloop
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
cbr250r streamliner sport style

I just picked up a brand new 2012 cbr 250r this week with the intent to streamline it. I've built streamliners before, but I'm hoping to make this one a truly different beast. Instead of conforming to the idea that a streamliner must be a huge touring bike, I am going to build a high performance high efficiency sport bike. The ultimate goal is a streamlined bike that is at home on both the racetrack and the backroads, a bike that looks and is fast as well as efficient. Also important to me is the idea of a comfortable ride, but I differ with some in that I consider riding straight backed with my feet in front of me the least comfortable option. I like my feet under me, low handlebars and a cushion under my chest to lean forward on, again leading me to a sportier bike. This being said, I do agree that streamlined bodywork can be an ideal way to incorporate carrying capacity to a motorcycle, and I will be using whatever space I can in that way. I don't expect it will carry 4 full grocery bags, but that is not the point. I have a truck for hauling tools and building materials, a little car for hauling groceries and my groups of up to four (not to mention driving in winter), and a bike for hauling me (and sometimes my wife also) to work and play. Each has it's use and is necessary in my life. Each ought to be as efficient as it can be while fulfilling it's purpose.
Anyway, enough ranting and on to the build.