View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
The old girl did it folks. Starting with a tank full at 10.002 gallons of gas and ending at 503.5 miles on the trip odometer, I finally reached the ever coveted 50 MPG on my stock 94 Honda Civic VX. (i.e. 50.33 for those doing the math)

It took a lot of driving on the freeway at an average of 55 MPH, along with quite a few hypermiling techniques and some angry faces on the road; but my goal was finally achieved.

In terms of what it took, I'm happy to say that I spent more of my time than money to correct everything mechanically that former owner had done (eg. A cracked exhaust manifold from a Civic EX, Autolite spark plugs, wires etc.) rather than taking it to a mechanic. By my own admission, it took me the better part of this summer to fix these problems; but thanks to the advise and generosity of the forum, all became possible.
I'm going through what you just did (repairs that the previous owner refused to fix) and I'm hoping that when I'm done, I'll be able to get 50+mpg myself. Anyway, good job man! I'm glad you were able to finally achieve your goal!