View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
iveyjh
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo53209@yahoo.com View Post
The old girl did it folks. Starting with a tank full at 10.002 gallons of gas and ending at 503.5 miles on the trip odometer, I finally reached the ever coveted 50 MPG on my stock 94 Honda Civic VX. (i.e. 50.33 for those doing the math)

It took a lot of driving on the freeway at an average of 55 MPH, along with quite a few hypermiling techniques and some angry faces on the road; but my goal was finally achieved.

In terms of what it took, I'm happy to say that I spent more of my time than money to correct everything mechanically that former owner had done (eg. A cracked exhaust manifold from a Civic EX, Autolite spark plugs, wires etc.) rather than taking it to a mechanic. By my own admission, it took me the better part of this summer to fix these problems; but thanks to the advise and generosity of the forum, all became possible.
I'm probably wrong, but the way I read this is you filled up first with 10.002 gallons but do not mention a fill up after the 503.5 miles. Did you fill up at the 503.5 miles? If so how many gallons? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, if so, no bad intent.