View Single Post
Old 08-11-2014, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
maplesyrupghost
Got MPG?

4x4Vitality - '03 Suzuki Vitara Base
90 day: 27.25 mpg (US)

93SupraTT - '93 Toyota Supra GZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
If you removed the stock manifold and exhaust system, you have already removed the most efficient mpg system.

I realize u r a newbie....but do you realize you are a mpg site and not a hotrod site. Please use the search button and find the threads on exhaust manifold.
I am a newbie, yes, sorry but I did do some searching. I'm not hot rodding, but I was curious of your opinion of installing that. 90% chance I won't, and I did find threads on exhaust manifolds which I have been reading carefully, but there was no mention of an electric cutout system. Even if it's snake oil, worth discussing?

So what you're saying is that backpressure = efficiency? My truck has a really restrictive stock exhaust manifold that immediately goes into a cat and then to a 2nd cat, and then to the muffler. I was under the impression that I could get the long tube header that replaces the manifold right up to the 2nd cat and it should no doubt create extra power by increasing efficiency.

But you say if I modify the stock system I will not have increased MPG? Only time will tell, I will post my numbers very shortly. I have documented 100% of every mile I have driven my vehicle. If my numbers decrease, you are right.

but now in an imaginary situation, let's say you have a very restrictive stock system but you have a cutout like this right before the muffler and engaged it, you say I will be less efficient? If so, I will forget about this entirely.