Thread: Aero spokes?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
Smokeduv
EcoModding Lurker

puntazo - '08 Fiat Grande Punto Sport T-Jet
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.94 mpg (US)

Pachanga ST - '14 Ford Fiesta ST ST3
Sports Cars
90 day: 28.59 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
This is easily solved by keeping your car in good condition and not driving like an r'tard.

My 2012 Fiat has solid (non vented) disks front and drums rear, and it will still go around a race track without significant fade. Anyone serious about performance driving will have a spare set of wheels and track tyres, so the problem of brake cooling on the street is all but imaginary.

It would be nice if we could get CD data on wheels, even if that data didn't mean much as it would be dependent on the way the wheel's aero interacts with the car body.
Yeah, I know. My Fiat and now the Fiesta ST have excellent brakes and I don't even use them or slam my foot on them, they last more than 50k miles and I know that they are not going to fade easily, but the old Sunny didn't have good brakes and I was working in a place with lots of hills where it is silly to the point that when you go down, there is a speed bump on the lowest part, so you have to brake to almost zero when you are going downhill and then accelerate again to go uphill again, so the old Sunny had brake fading a lot and very easily, and it was serious because you are going downhill, so, that was my main concern, as it really happened and all without driving and using the brakes as if there were no tomorrow. As you say, performance-wise, you are going to have a different set of wheels for track use.

Last edited by Smokeduv; 08-12-2014 at 08:52 AM..