View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #63 (permalink)
vadimr4
EcoModding Lurker

e-bike

Since May I have about 340 miles on my new ebike.
From my experience go with a heavy duty tire tube. After 3 flats with standard tire tubes from Target/Walmart, I got a thorn resistant bicycle tube which has been working great so far. The extra weight on the tire calls for the heavy duty tube.
I got my kit imported from China. A 1kW hub motor mounted in a 700C rim with a 10Ah battery pack. I am averaging about 24mph on my 7 mile commute (top speed is like yours at 32mph). The commute time is the same as on my car (or motorcycle). Posted speed limits on my route range from 30 to 45mph and some roads have a bit of a shoulder. The ones that do not, I ride in the lane since in Illinois bikes are allowed to share the road with cars. So far I had no issues except for a few "special" people that yell at me to use the sidewalk which would be illegal and unsafe.

With my experience of the e-bike, I hope to do an electric velomobile for winter/rainy days with a 3kW motor to allow me to travel with the traffic since it is more difficult to share the road with cars on a velomobile (because of lousy visibility).
Would love to hear more about your experience with your e-bike.