View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
groar
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar2k View Post
I have also found that when you accelerate to speed, if you let up off the accelerator for 2-3 seconds your instant reading will go to high 30 low 40 and then gently (very gently) press on the accelerator and keep your speed. I find that I can actully increase my speed this way and keep the instant reading near 40. It's a matter of pedal pressure and how you train yourself to keep it smooth and gentle. Thoughts?
Thanks for your reply.

One of my first rules was to release the accelerator until I loose a little speed. Loosing a few percentage of speed while saving 10% of gas/CO2 is efficient
Another important rule was to use engine brake as much as possible, my cars doing DFCO.
After several rules, all were based upon the same philosophy : accept to loose a few percentage of time to save tens of percent of gas.

As I'm only a learner, I'm only saving about 20% compare to my previous mileage. I have to confess that I'm often in an hurry, and I'm rapidly forgetting to calm down to save gas/CO2

But one of the rules which saved me more gas/CO2 is to find the best road & schedule to avoid traffic. This permitted me to save gas/CO2 and time

My wife who is trying to do the same since a few weeks said me that she does prefer to drive this way and we concluded the same thing : you're now more relax at the end of the trip than at the beginning, which can't be the case when you use the time saved on the road, if any, to try to relax.

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.