View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I did a hike last week at 7000 feet and 80-85 degrees and it felt like I weighed a ton. We're going for an 8000 foot peak but turned around. The 1/2 mile part gaining 700 feet with no trail scrambling over deadfall was the nail in the coffin. Will try a longer but actually established trail Thursday. Good thing there was a plethora of huckleberries as they make everything better.
There are two lung physiological types. One type is highly efficient at the altitude it is adapted for, but loses efficiency rapidly as it climbs up into thinner air. The 2nd type operates less efficiently at their usual altitude (their owners huff and puff more readily when working hard than those with the first type), but they can climb into thinner air with little loss in efficiency. This second lung type is not as common but their owners can climb up through 10,000 feet and hardly notice any loss in lung power.

I have that second lung type. I huff and puff like crazy when running at low altitude, but can climb up through 14,000 feet with the altitude only taking a slight edge off my lung power output.

Last edited by basjoos; 08-12-2014 at 09:57 PM..