View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 10:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
maplesyrupghost
Got MPG?

4x4Vitality - '03 Suzuki Vitara Base
90 day: 27.25 mpg (US)

93SupraTT - '93 Toyota Supra GZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterk0031 View Post
Myself the last place I'd look for gains is in the tune. OEM does a pretty good job IMO there, I'd attach everything else first, first reliablity, then reliablity, then good tires, then add a 1.5" lift but that won't help mpg wise, but it would help in the snow and looks good, then a winch.

I love quiet, if the exhaust is shot, I'd just replace it a the local muffler shop with about same as stock size and call it good, unless I could buy online cheaper, big pipe only helps at big rpm, normal driving doesn't need it.

I'm watching for a Tracker/Vitara but most of the newer ones around here (03 or 04) are v6, don't need a v6. The 2.0 4x4 5 spd 2 door hard top would be ideal, but rare, I'll settle for 2 door rag or 4 door if the price is right. My almost 15 yo already has 3 months driving under his belt, so for the 4 miles to school and back he'll make do fine with the Stratus just like his older sisters did (mom's at school also so can alway leave his car there) it really would be for me for weekends & just allows me to sell/junk the Stratus. Dragging deer out last winter sucked.

What kind of sucks is I can find similar year Explorers for almost 1/2 the price of a Tracker, with better interiors, probably better maintained, better everything, but mpg. But if I get something too nice my wife will want to drive it and not let me put dead things in back.
That combination of 2-door 5speeds are particularly rare. When I was looking, there was basically an unlimited supply of GV's with varying conditions, but only one with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed, this silky silver 4-door base model. I basically had to buy it since then I have only seen one or two 2-doors but they cost more, I could have probably looked nationwide and found one but having the 4 doors comes in handy from time to time and the seats folded down you have a HUGE cargo area. If I can afford it one day down the road, it would be cool to really restore and perfect the ultimate 2-door. Until that day comes, I will strive to have a moderately decent 4-door.

The V6 model might be ideal for some, but I agree it's overkill. I couldn't even consider that, I had a V6 or two in my day and the power is nice but it's not an ideal daily runner. Plus since it is designed with a V6 in mind, there is a ton of room under the hood with the 4 cylinder in there! As far as easy-to-work-on vehicles it's basically a best case scenario.

A lift would be nice, a 1.5-2" lift wouldn't have too big of an impact on MPG. Down the road it's something I would like to look into, but increasing winter performance already has priority: a set of winter tires and I want to replace the U-joints on the front driveshaft, I have the slightest vibration in 4x4 at high speed. Maybe all 4x4's are like this, but it's rediculously smooth in 2 wheel drive and in 4x4 it's not.. as smooth. I bet the U-joint has the whole 150k of mileage on it and it's a bit sore. I'm ordering all new U-joints this week and I will have from now until I need 4x4 this winter to install them.