View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
basjoos
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I must have the first lung type as I run into trouble at even 8000 feet. Dropping things, getting desorientated and so. I don't like flying as the cabin pressure is lower than I like.

But I'm almost always at sea level. Things might improve if I'd stay out in the mountains and get used to height.
These lung types are referring to healthy lungs.

The way that first lung type works is that it is finely tuned and highly efficient at the altitude where you spend most of your time, but it loses efficiency quickly and has problems with altitude sickness as you get into thinner air. It can adapt to thinner air, but you have gradually work up to it over a period of days to weeks.

The second lung type is roughly tuned and not as efficient as the first type at its normal altitude, but isn't affected much and is slow to lose efficiency as you get into thinner air. I read about the lung types in an article I found in the 80's about mountain climbing and the effects of rapid increases in altitude. The first guys who climbed Everest without oxygen equipment obviously had the second lung type.

Last edited by basjoos; 08-13-2014 at 12:30 PM..