View Single Post
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
For what it is worth, none of my computers should have been exposed to any form of smoke.
As I tapped above, I have asthma and live in a "super clean" house. It didn't prevent the dust bunnies forming - remember static (like moving parts, e.g. fans) attracts dust you can't see. Don't assume until you have checked inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Obviously, that power button only has one job, and fails.
Press it continuously for 10 seconds, it will turn off fully - this is a hardware thing and nothing to do with the OS. Ignore what is on the screen, hold the beggar down and wait for the click.

Be brave son, take a deep breath and keep pressing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Maybe because it's likely that the hard drive was actually powered off at the time. Unless you're running a program that does a lot of disk I/O, the OS typically reads the program into memory, then shuts off the hard drive to save power.
In Windows this is configurable in the power settings in control panel. They are only enabled if the BIOS and drivers allow it. I generally set it to "Do Nothing" as I have an SSD and an SSD uses less power. Otherwise HDDs are left spinning probably due to swap file use of the search service running in the background - yeah that is a Windows pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Shut it down with the shutdown command - I'm not sure of the Windoze equivalent, but I think it's on the "Start Menu". That makes sure everything in memory is properly saved to disk &c.
Start Menu and then click on the arrow to the right hand side of the option displayed in the lower right of the menu pane. That will display a menu - shut down will be in there.

Scarily to Linux geeks there is really a shutdown command in Windows : open a command prompt (Windows key + R, enter CMD and press enter). Then enter "Shutdown /s" and press enter.

Shutdown /r

for a reboot.

It may moan about needing to be run as Administrator (yeah Windows is so insecure...) in which case close the command window and then go to the start menu, select Accessories and right-click on command window and select "Run as Administrator" - enter

Shutdown /S

and all should be well.

Sorted ?