View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #23 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

Consider a Lifan engine...

I bought a semi-automatic 125 Lifan motor off of eBay a few years ago and put it into my Honda Passport for use as transport at the races. The next thing I knew I found myself riding it more and more including trips from Indy to Chicago and Mammoth Cave. These little motors are very powerful and stone reliable to boot.

For someone considering the construction of a high MPG bike from a Honda step-through chassis I highly recommend these motors. Mine is jetted "fat" with a $31 Mikuni from eBay for best performance and I only get 80 MPG out of it. With tall gearing I've seen 63 MPH on the GPS and with the current gearing (17/37) it will cruise all day long at near 50 MPH with a top speed of almost 60. Other than oil changes and valve checks it has required no other repairs and continues to perform flawlessly.

For best MPG I would think a manual clutch would be superior but the semi-auto clutch may not be that much of a detriment and defintely makes it easy to ride.

At least in the U. S. step-through chassis for CT-90/110's are common and cheap. The rest of the bike can be built from parts bought on eBay or Craigslist.

The best thing about the Lifan 125 semi-auto motors? In the U. S. you can have one on your doorstep for $280!!!