View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
woodsrat
Beginner Ecomodder

Agreed. Sadly the only five-speed available for this type of motor is a very high end Japanese aftermarket unit, if it's still available. I think it was offered by Takegawa, a manufacturer of high performance parts for these little motors.

The best part about the Lifan is that it has plenty of power to overcome any gaps in the ratios and has a wide RPM operating band. I can't say enough good about them especially for the money. One of the biggest advantages over a stock Honda is that they're set up for 12v.--only the last two years of the Passport in the U. S. had a 12v. system. The rest used that pathetic 6v. system that was marginally reliable at best. My Passport has excellent light output and I think I read somewhere that the stator puts out around 90 watts. I wired mine up to use an electric vest and with the lights off it gets HOT!! Obviously running without lights is marginally legal and won't do you any good at night but it's still nice to feel the heat put out by this little motor's stator.