Thread: Aero spokes?
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #37 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
It's always been my understanding that hubless lowers rotating mass and increases aerodynamics on two wheeled vehicles. They have been successfully made and used on daily driven choppers for quite a while now. Most sportbike, car, and truck designs have been one off concept cars and most weren't functional. There is a company that will make you a TRON bike for $55k

When used on 4 wheel vehicles, they say it makes steering response immediate and near perfectly accurate compared to normal methods of steering the wheels of the vehicle... Although I'm not sure how these people claim to know that? I've never seen anyone post the benefits/downsides of using them IN a wheel well? I also know, that they work well with high hp and torque motorcycle engines because it is chain/belt driven and attached in a linear fashion to the frame. But most of the critics I've seen in forums, discuss their inability to handle the torque and suspension dynamic when used in a car... They say it's perfect use being that of hubless wheels with electric motors in each wheel

What about polycarbonate wheels? You don't like wheel covers, but you don't want the bad aero of spokes and open wheels. So what about a see through wheel? It seems they are expensive, although I don't know if that needs to be the case if you could find someone willing to make them for you. Most downsides talk about the ability to handle lateral force and of course speedbumps... But you guys don't exactly drive like most people, so this could be a viable option?

Images are from these two articles in 2006 when they first hit the show scene @ $2k a piece
SEMA: Clear wheels steal the show - Autoblog
Clear polycarbonate car wheels hit for $2,000 apiece

~C