View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #906 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by e*clipse View Post
If you can find a junked Highlander Hybrid or Lexus equivalent, you can get these REALLY cheap! I'm talking a few hundred dollars, because no one knows what to do with them.

I must warn you, a big downside is the voltage they want to run at - think 2nd generation Prius. about 450VDC > 650VDC. I did find a thread where a guy tried to use one of them (sorry, I don't have the link) and did get it to work, at something like 200V or 300V. However, he was very dissappointed with the performance. (obviously)
This is not a big downside for me.

High voltage and low current means small cables .. that you can actually BEND ... along with *LOTS* of connections between batteries. I'm OK with that.

If I get the Warp-11 to fit into my Mazda MX6, the Mazda will be running a 380V pack (Renault/better place 60 A-h surplus pack) and a Netgain Industrial controller rated at 400V, 1200A. The Netgain can limit the voltage to the motor separately from the bus voltage (which is COOL). The warp 11 should stay in the 160V to 170V maximum. It''s a ridiculous amount of torque to put into an MX6, but POWER is gggGGGGOOOOOOOOOODDDDdddd!

For the Highlander drivetrain, 180 smaller cells, like perhaps the CALB CA-40s would do about 608V fully charged, but the charger would go up to maybe 640V. The pack would be about 23 KW-h and weigh .. 600 lbs. But where would you buy a charger?