View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 01:42 AM   #908 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Question

I am really happy to see you are using the ring capacitors for this control.

I've been working with several ways to use the ring capacitor and the SOT-227 package IGBT's. I like them 'cause they're sooo compact and still use a bolt-on connection.

I would like to work out a system that could use 6 or 12 (2 paralleled) IGBT's and the ring capacitors. Working with the physical layout in order to reduce the system inductance is an important issue when working with those ring capacitors. I think I've worked out some possibilities that are significantly better than the suggestions in the ring capacitor application notes.

BTW, the IGBT that I'm considering is the Microsemi APT150GN120JDQ4. Yes, it does include a diode, and it's rated at 150A @ 75C. It's also rated for 1200VDC, so it will work with my motor's high voltage requirements. It's supposed to be easy to parallel, and is also supposed to be very robust, including a built in 5 Ohm gate resistor. All this for about $52 in qty's of 1 or $49 in qty's of 10 from Digikey.

150A would be just fine for my application, and if I want to push things (of course ) I could add a second one fairly easily. The small SOT-227 package is pretty easy to work with and fit in various configurations with the ring capacitor.

Would you have any physical dimensions for the driver boards? I would like to see how these integrate with the systems I'm designing. ( I'm doing this work in SolidWorks ). If it's not too much to ask, the interface pinout hole position would be nice...

Also, from the schematics, it looks like the driver IC is directly soldered to the control board, is this true? Would it be best for the system for the driver board to be right next to the control board, or wherever the IGBT it's controlling is?

When I come up with some useful pics, I'll post them for everyone...