View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #915 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

Thumbs up MGR details

Awesome Pic, freebeard!

Yup, that's what I'm using. I have several shots of a disassembled one - I have three, and took one apart so I could get some clue about it.

No, I'm not rich - I was able to source each of them from E*bay used parts places for less than $400 each. BTW, that's true with about everything - I have a Honda 1st gen Insight, and parts for it (like shocks, etc) from the dealer are silly expensive.

One detail that isn't apparent from the cutaway (because it's in the cutaway part) is how the oil moves in the system. It's a pretty important detail, because the motor is cooled by the gearbox oil. Basically, the oil is "pumped" by the big gear connected to the differential between the gear teeth and the gearbox case up into a small holding container. (cut away) The oil then dribbles down by gravity into other containers (cut away) that have holes to dribble oil onto the various bearings and gears. See that opening on the near side of the motor's shaft? The motor shaft is hollow, and oil is pumped (I guess) by the rotating shaft out holes in the shaft, where it sprays over the motor stator coils. That's what cools (or at least distributes the heat) from the motor.

So, if you plan to use this in a stock set-up, you ****have to***** run it with the motor forward of the differential. That's the only way the "oil pump" will work. In my Eclipse, I can do this in the front no problem, but I'm going to have to modify it with an external pump or something in the rear, because these will only fit "backwards."

My general evil plan is to integrate an oil pump and transmission cooler for the oil. As Freebeard says, this will be necessary for continuous operation. Personally, I think an agressive cooling system may allow as much as 75kW out of this. However, I haven't found a oil pump I'm completely happy with. It must be 100% reliable, so some brushed DC motor-driven oscillating pump won't be on my car.

Another detail is control feedback. The motor uses a resolver, built into the opposite side of the motor shaft. I've messed with it a bit, getting some beautiful sin waves of the motor's position. There's also temperature feedback in another connector.

- E*clipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
This is my new favorite thing:

April 2014 … One more HEV for ACDC Classes | Auto Career Development Center

After reading e*clipse's comment, I went down to the Toyota parts counter and asked for a part number, price and availability. Their microfische system showed a coventional FR third member in the Hybrid. He suggested if it were available, it would run $5-8000.

My thinking runs ($8000 over base price) ==> (ignore the contoller, split 50-50 for batts and motors) ==> (split 1500-1500-1000 for the motors) ==> $1000on the assembly line ==> 5x though the parts channel; so, yeah.

It looks affordable compared to this:

Made in Australia, it has a carbon-fiber cage in the form-factor of a Porsche 901 transaxle, a Quaife limited slip diff and heat sensors and cooling for the gearset, and about 10x the power. So I think the Highlander part should be retrofitted with a transmission cooler, for the continuous duty cycle.