View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #919 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPaulHolmes View Post
Holy cow! A regular old dual IGBT is enough for a boost converter that can do regen!
Trying to follow along ...

A dual IGBT can run a boost circuit - yup - I got that part. Now for the part I missed .. 'that can do regen' I guess I missed that part.

Quote:
Hmm... If you want to keep it as a separate object from the AC controller, I guess you would just need to tell the boost converter to switch to buck mode (switch connected to ground OFF, switch with the diode turned ON 100%). Then, the AC controller could command the current for regen.
If you are boosting a battery pack, the input, and the output is a higher voltage, the circuit can cut back on the boost when the regen is raising the voltage ... but how can the current flow back into the pack when that battery pack is on the input terminal?

Quote:
You don't need an input capacitor to the boost converter. Just the big fat inductor. Then, a fancy ring capacitor on the output... Maybe if the boost converter & inverter shared that cap, it would be fine. But it would need to be the same package so as to minimize stray inductance.
I would be OK with a boost converter built into the input of the AC controller ... still having trouble with the regen part though.