View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
ksguy
EcoModding Lurker

blue zr2 - '02 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.4 mpg (US)
Hi, new pickup driver from Kansas

Hi -
Just dropping by here to say "hello". I happened across this site a week or so ago while searching for some ways to improve MPG on my Zr2 S10 pickup.

I've historically gotten between 12 and 14 MPG doing mostly city driving, with a jump up to 15 or so on mostly-highway tanks. Well 2 weeks ago I started a job that's about 22 miles away so it's definitely been a pain in the wallet.

For a long time I've thought about putting together some kind of aero shell for my truck just as a fun project - I had no idea that people had already done this! Well I got some inspiration from the forums here and yesterday I bought the materials to do a stitch and glue aero shell out of 5mm plywood (I've got experience in this building method from boat-building). I'll cover the thing in epoxy/fiberglass (already on hand from a boat project), smooth it out with fairing putty, and put a nice coat of paint on it to finish it off.

Next up is a belly pan - an idea I got from the 65+ mods page. Dad has a full size fridge that gave up the ghost, so I'll be using the thin sheet metal skin from the fridge to fashion the pan. The nice thing is my pickup has the off road package so 1/3 of the underbody is already covered by skid plates.

Watch for a project thread for the aero cap soon!