View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
kafer65
Tinkerer

Silver - '15 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Team Mazda
90 day: 37.23 mpg (US)
There is a spreadsheet often called a map that the engine management uses that has load listed as one of the variables. With my old Subaru it had engine RPM starting at upper left and going down to the max toward the bottom. Then going across the top starting at the top left going toward the right was columns called load like an excel spreadsheet. For example, if you were idling at 850 rpm it would highlight a cell across from 850 rpm in the column that had say zero or 10% load. If I were climbing a steep hill at 850 rpm with the gas pedal all the way to the floor it would highlight a cell across from 850 rpm in the 100% load column. The software uses the highlighted cell that dances around the spreadsheet to manage the engine parameters. As you can image it would use less fuel at idle in the zero column as opposed to the 100% load column where it will need to add as much fuel as it can use for the amount of air available in the cylinder. Load is much like how hard you'd be straining to do a job. I hope that helps.

Mirror deletes, 80% grill blocks, wheel covers, 50 psi tires = 6% better MPG avg. over a year. Wheel skirts overcoming ethanol winter fuel mpg losses and more!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ead-30641.html