View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #227 (permalink)
Grant-53
Master EcoModder

As to multiple transmissions both Kreidler 50cc bikes and the Austin Healey Sprite have used two gear boxes. This would only be needed if the power to weight ratio is very low and the torque curve peaky.

I have a new camera so I can start posting better photos and drawings. The desired handling of a two wheel vehicle can be 'tuned' by adjusting the aero loads both fore and aft as well as top to bottom. When I describe a high tail I mean CoP above the CG but not necessarily a fin above the rider's shoulder. The question becomes how stable vs how responsive do we want. The next consideration is the resultant of cross wind and forward net speed as Cd varies with the effective yaw angle and lean angle. Right now we are looking at the AeroTech Bonneville fairing which is designed for high speed (150 mph) and low cross wind conditions (5 mph). In contrast is the Vetter style which are designed for more crosswind (50 mph) and highway speeds (85 mph).

I will try to make some drawings of the shell I am looking into using and perhaps interpret the above description as well. Then we can have a clearer concept of the vector forces acting on a bike and rider.

Last edited by Grant-53; 08-18-2014 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Ref post # 49