View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
davelobi
EcoModding Apprentice

CRX - '91 Honda CRX HF
Last 3: 63.1 mpg (US)

the ugly one - '97 saturn SL just sl,not sl1 or 2
Team Saturn
90 day: 44.15 mpg (US)

Vibe - '07 Pontiac Vibe
Team Pontiac
90 day: 44.24 mpg (US)

Hoopdie - '05 Toyota Corolla CE
90 day: 42.58 mpg (US)
You should be able to achieve a fair bit better than 30 mpg in that Corolla.
Learn more about DFCO and when your car is in/out of dfco. You can run along the back roads slowly getting up to 55 mph and coasting (in gear) back down to 45 then repeat the cycle over and over. Watch your mpg jump.

I drive almost exclusively stick shift cars so my automatic transmission advice is more limited to the dfco testing I have done than when to upshift on acceleration. I do however believe that accelerating too slowly will reduce, not increase, your economy. Get up into the highest gear at a reasonable pace and then do your cruising as slow (traffic allowing) as you can in the tallest gear without lugging the engine. I'd guess a good engine rpm for that 1.8L would be 17-18 hundred rpm. Hopefully that will keep you in the 45-50 mph range. Back roads (as opposed to the expressway) are really your friend for economy.

Welcome to the nut house. Strength in numbers!

EDIT: oops, my bad. I thought I read Corolla. The Camry is a fair bit heavier and the 2.2 will be a tad thirstier than the corollas 1.8. 30mpg isn't too bad but with information and the formation of new habits you will see an increase. Good luck.

Last edited by davelobi; 08-18-2014 at 03:39 PM..