View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 12:12 AM   #35 (permalink)
dann_04
EcoModding Lurker

EP3 - '03 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)

Scooter - '93 Honda Elite 80
90 day: 74.87 mpg (US)

Ape - '07 Aprilia Sportcity 250ie
90 day: 66.97 mpg (US)
My gf and i bought scooters april of last year. We are big environmentalists and energy conservers so it made sense. Mine is a 93 honda elite 80, and hers is a 2005 honda metropolitan(50cc. I see~75-80 mpg in mine and she sees a consistant 100mpg on hers. As for emissions, the epa actually tested my model and year scooter and here are the figs:

g/km

Nox .72
Hc .72
Co 7
Co2 32.2

And here is prius:
Co2 104

and hummer h2:
Co2 432
(all shown in g/km)

So don't tell me my scooter puts out more CO2 than driving a car because it doesn't, and normally scooters are kind of bad on acid rain emissions, and mine is slightly higher than new cars(lower than 80's cars that are still on the road) and my hydrocarbon emissions are actually lower than those shown as i have the california model(in illinois lol) with the carbon canister for the vapors and recirculation system to burn them off. As for 2 stroke scooters i won't touch them, they are horrible for the environment(save a few i have seen with very complex emissions systems that get comperable to 4 strok but they are expensive). Plus who wants to add oil to the gas or a seperate tank for that matter. I say for anyone who can use a scooter in their area safely and practically, go for it they are fun. You just have to see all the idiots that don't see you, and wear a helmet!!!!!! Ok I'm done lol.