View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 08:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jeff M
EcoModding Lurker

AVy - '09 Chevrolet Avalanche LTZ
90 day: 20.24 mpg (US)
Thanks for the welcomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
1) Slow down. If you're keeping up with everyone else, you're getting the same lousy mileage they are. Don't drive like them and you won't get mileage like them. Okay, you might have to leave the house five minutes earlier.
Right now that's one of my biggest issues, in the 3 lane areas I don't really care if I'm going slower but in the 2 lane I feel like I'm holding traffic up. I often try to keep up with everyone until I encounter a good semi (nice low mud flaps, and not a damn gravel train that throws rocks and crap) and stay 75-100ft behind them for as long as I can. I'm amazed how much better mileage I get if I stay in someone's path of turbulence, beyond 100ft it seems to dwindle.

I actually have instantaneous mileage on the dash already, it's on the same page that says how many cylinders I'm using. When going 45-55mph I can stay in 4 a decent portion of the time... any faster than that and it only flickers into 4 while I'm coasting.

Does pulse & glide really make sense on an auto transmission? Also I was reading somewhere that people claim taking off briskly saves fuel, I can't imagine it. I'm sure the dash would read higher, but hand calculating...??