View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDiesel View Post
Subscribing. I think what you're doing is outstanding and will be worthwhile! This is looking to be an important thread for those of us who have offroad ready vehicles looking to boost our FE. The great thing is that small gains (.5 - 1 mpg) are huge to us Over the course of 10-20 years, a smaller 4wd would cost less overall... though I doubt you'll drive your luxury Exploder that long

Tires - look at 33x10.50R15 BFG AT KO's. My K5 will be getting these for all-purpose driving. A reduced contact patch for less drag, greater psi on the tread when offroad, reduced weight over a 33x12.50 and a greater height for reduced rpm on freeway. You'll be quad-winning
Well thank you very much for the encouragement! And yes, little gains for us can be epic haha... 5mpg is a 33+% increase

As far as my luxury exploder goes, I've had her long enough to rack up more miles than most people will ever do on a single vehicle... Perhaps more than they will do on multiple combined hahaha. So unless another vehicle falls into my lap or this one suffers a fatal injury, I'll have her long enough to see savings and pay off the cost if I keep it on the cheap! See below for tire talk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
X2

As far as tires go, you can look at the Goodyear Wranglers. According to Consumer Reports it has the best rating for LRR among the A/T and offroading tires. I've personally used them and I like the ride on them too!
Thanks to you as well for the encouragement!

My current tires have been upgraded to 31x10.5R15LT Wild Trac's, the tread's as aggresive as some AT's out there but WAY cheaper. And I'm getting great wear out of them. Of course, great wear means it will be a long time before I try to stuff 33's under there Unless of course I do some calculatin on RPM's and FE, and follow that up with some penny pinchin

Either way... I hope that my thoughts/ideas/questions, and hopefully follow through on some of them can help you guys (and others) in your search for better FE with your off roadin trucks.

~C
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.