View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

¤½¥q¦¬ÂÃ

This Commanderwagen has a field modification that is a roller for the front valance. Something like this could establish a low stagnation point.
Did the roller function? If so, that's a slick piece of offroading genuis right there! Can't believe we don't see this more on modern trail rigs and such... Would be great on the rear bumper of trucks too.

Quote:

Or maybe a high stagnation point and prow like a boat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
I was also thinking about something like a boat-hull.
OK, so the picture linked of the Baja truck is what I was talking about in the first post. How would a boat hull-esque front, impact FE and other mods that are normally done for FE? It would drastically change they aerodynamics of the vehicle by forcing more air under the car, the opposite of what we normally do right? Although it would be a much smoother and controlled flow, would it lead to decreases in FE, would it generate lift or cause dangerous conditions at high speeds when combined with full underbody tray?

In regards to design, would it need to be a tapered design like a true boat hull?

Or could it be flat like the duck tour amphibious trucks?

Clarification: would you want it tapered to try and cut through the air forcing air around the truck like the wake of a boat, or flat simply to try and provide a slippery angle for the air to hit and slide down under the truck? This is about as far from traditional aero mods as it gets, from what I can tell...

Quote:
For the belly pan, consider Grimco - Substrates: Max-Metal, MAX-metal HD. It's like Polymetal or OmegaLite, but the aluminum skins are .30mm, about twice as thick. It's available in 4x8 and 6x10 sheets.
I'll check it out, .30mm seems pretty thin though. Traditional Aluminum skid plates are 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick, 4-6mm. Of course I wouldn't need it to be super thick the entire underside of the truck! I just wonder how easily it would rip or crease under stress. Of course that would be remedied by having a cordless drill, patch sections, a rivet gun, and silicone caulk in the back of the truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Maybe some exhaust-wrap could be useful to decrease the overheat issue while using an under-belly pan.
I had actually thought about heatshield on the underside of the truck and on the belly pan facing the exhaust... Although that wouldn't lower heat in the space, simply protect things from the heat. Exhaust wrap might be the answer! Although I'm not sure how that will impact performance or longevity of the muffler with out it's natural ability to be cooled in the wind stream under the vehicle

~C
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.