View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Engine is idling rough, especially with AC.

I have not spent too much time in the Phoenix area and I have mostly driven Dad's Focus SFE, which probably explains how I managed to drive 1,200 miles without a repair. Chorizo mostly sat for two months. When I was home, I needed to park the Focus in front of the Civic, and I did not take the time to shuffle my cars around to take the Honda for a drive.

So, as I mentioned, the engine seems like it idles low, for a moment it sounds like it will stall, but it revs, so at stops, it keeps going from 4-600 RPM. Then I realized that my registration expired while out-of-town, at the worst possible time! We do not have any idea where that notification went! Apparently, it expired after nine months because the previous owner's emissions ran out, even though I registered it with my parents' address, where they do not do emissions testing.

Yes, they can ticket you for that. Fun.

They towed my car, I got a temporary registration, got my car back, and passed emissions even though my car was idling rough. Halfway through my three-day registration, I register for two years, giving Mom's address, because I was about to drive up, but it says it will take five business days.

Print off receipt, put in car, load up, and I have a check engine light.

The guy at O'Reilly checked the code and said my downstream oxygen sensor was faulty, but it could be the fuse.

There is not any relevant fuse.

The guy at Autozone prints me off something and shows me on the computer that it could be the sensor or a loose connection. Mom had my socket set and I hate jacking up my Civic, so I go to a place called U-Fix It, where you can rent a bay and tools. He reads the code with something that looks far more expensive, and it says that my upsteam sensor is bad. He gets another reader, which also looks expensive, but does not show any codes. He turns off the light and tells me to drive until it turns back on.

A hundred and sixty-five miles later, I am at Mom's house, without the light turning on again.

Do you guys have any idea what could be amiss? I always appreciate your help!

Last edited by Xist; 09-03-2014 at 12:20 PM..