View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #29 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarcus View Post
I don't know how well exhaust wrap would hold up on an offroading vehicle, I have heard if it traps water it can make things rust out sooner. I have considered getting my exhaust ceramic coated, that would greatly decrease the radiant heat escaping from the exhaust. I think doing vertical walls to the sides of the exhaust to keep it from heating up the rest of the underside would definitely be a good start, but I don't know if that would be enough to be able to seal the pan off under the exhaust. If you don't have some sort of cooling or airflow the heat would eventually start to build, it just might take longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Ceramic-coating in the exhaust pipes is a good option too. The heat concentrated inside the pipes would actually improve the flow.
Ceramic coating is a wee bit out of the starting budget for this hahaha... BUT that would seem to be the way to go!

I suppose, if I managed to get a true sealed belly pan... Then air from the engine compartment would vent within the belly pan and I could vent out the rear via a smooth duct to get clean the airflow back up before introduction to the rearward flow? That might alleviate some of the "heat" issues to begin with. And if it didn't work enough, I could throw on some mini electric fans to pull air out the back? I think that would also combat the dead zone of drag behind the vehicle if it were placed just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
From your sketch it looked like you could maintain your off road approach angle clearance if the airdam was even with the bottom of the suspensions naughty bits.

The belly pan would be dead even with the bottom of the airdam.
And if you do the pan,then you can think of a diffuser,which will kick in a little additional efficiency.
Ok... rear diffuser, front spliter, full belly pan, air dam... As stated above, if I managed to do all of this, would venting the engine bay between car and pan be a good idea? Would a rear vent incorporated into the diffuser or even higher, allow for assistance in filling the void that causes drag?

Also, your truck has a fully belly pan correct? Do you have any links or could you post any pictures of the belly pan? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how the rear axle/leaf springs fits into the equation when attempting to do a full sealed pan. I'm guessing you went under the axle since you have minimal suspension articulation and are low to the ground for aerodynamics.

~C
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.