View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #30 (permalink)
chillsworld
I got ideas

Beast - '97 Mercury Mountaineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Yes. I don't know why it fell out of favor. The M3 scout car used something similar

I would favor the DUKW nose, with a roller in the bottom edge and a diverter. It would have angled arms on either side of the roller that hinge on the same centerline so it would stow up and forward under the nose or drop down to horizontal to do what diverters do.

Nip off the two rear corners of the hood, and run the exhaust up one windshield post and a snorkel up the other.
You know the real name of the duck, and you pull out vintage military pictures with ease... I think you're my kind of guy haha I do recall seeing them now that you posted that pic, and i would be willing to bet that modern day ground clearance on deuce an halfs and the bigger 5 tons is the reason we don't see the rollers. They have at least twice the clearance of the older versions... And now we have Hummers and Tacoma/Hilux to fulfill the duties of the older and smaller vehicles of days past. Not to mention the duties of "scouting" are done with small UTV's, diesel dirt bikes, fast action rail buggies, and the Toyota Hilux

And that would be pretty sweet to run a snorkel and exhaust that way... But might be a bit much for my current daily driver I think you would have to run it up the pillar and then flatten it out along the hood to make it aero friendly? That way the exhaust was released evenly with contour of the roof?

~C
PS you could add hamsters inside for a 'bio-hybrid' drive.