View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
HyperMiler
...in Training!

Wonton Mobile - '06 Kia Rio LX
90 day: 42.39 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to HyperMiler
Talking Hello!...from Massachusetts, USA

Hey everyone!

I recently purchased a 2006 Kia Rio LX - 1.6L automatic...mainly for its fuel efficiency and low cost. I drive at least 75% highway. I am expecting to get about 32mpg...based on fueleconomy.gov., and so far I'm half-way through my first tank of gas and I think I'm going to come out around 40mpg because of some simple techniques I found while reading around on this and similar forums! I'm excited to see what my final number will be! It's definitely a huge improvement from my 17.8mpg that my Jeep was giving me.

Anyhoo, I'm still new to the whole EcoModding/Hypermiling scene and am wondering what else I can do to improve my mpg...just simple things, I'm not comfortable doing Pulse and Glides, etc. So far, I've just really changed my driving style and have seen great numbers...in my opinion. I'm driving a steady 55mph on the highway, limiting the use of my brakes a lot, generally just driving slow and having a light foot. I'm also keeping the windows rolled up once I hit about 40mph, never use the A/C , radio, lights (during the day), etc.

On my way home after work, I'm going to inflate my tires to 44psi...as it says on the sidewalls, rather than the label on the door jamb. I also heard that changing my oil to synthetic would be a good idea. My main concern is that synthetic is thinner and will leak? Maybe?...I heard something along those lines a while back. Also, if I change to synthetic, do I have to flush the previous oil out? What are some good brands?

Any other suggestions to improve my Fuel Economy?

Thanks in advance!

...don't mind the signature below...I'm just waiting to finish up this tank of gas to put the data in...