View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 12:54 PM   #109 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I got the Sunfire back this weekend. I had loaned it out to a friend who had a Saturn. We traded cars while I was working on his. Sadly, I hadn't finished the work on his car when he returned the Sunfire though. He was having problems with it. The right rear brake was locking the wheel up when the brakes were applied moderately hard. It was fairly violent and quite odd when I took it for a real short test drive to see what was going on.

I pulled the drum off the back and it was caked pretty good with brake dust and what I'm going to assume is some brake fluid. I blew it out with air to clean it up the best I could. Then, I wiped the drum braking surface down with brake cleaner.

This seemed to take care of the brake locking up the tire. However, there is still a clicking from the right rear when I left off the brake pedal. The only thing I can think of is its hanging up somehow and it has to be the wheel cylinder which is weeping anyways and caking everything in a nasty brake dust + oil paste. Time to replace that I guess. Ideas welcome.