View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
campisi
Chief Cook & Bottlewasher

Xterra - '13 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X
90 day: 19.12 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Sometimes, as with what you described, there is nothing that can be done. Sometimes you simply can't come out ahead, no matter what you do. Some neighborhoods literally have a stop sign on every corner. The people who live there and lobbied for it thought it would make their neighborhood "safer". (Usually this is the result of mommies who think their spoiled children have a right to play in the street.) It sure does slow things down. But forcing cars to constantly stop for stop signs or slow for speed bumps does not mean it is conducive to saving fuel. The agenda of enforced slowness is often not in synch with your goals (actually, ours).

When is the last time anyone has ever seen a stop sign or speed bump removed after it had been installed? Ain't gonna happen. It's the "more is better" mentality. It's busywork for local politicians.

Here is an interesting, unintended consequence of having too many stop signs within a limited distance: When there is a stop sign on virtually every corner, people tend to ignore them. That leads to more dangerous circumstances (read: car crashes) than if there were few or no stop signs.
You are exactly WRONG. I don't like aholes ripping through my neighborhood. We don't have any speed bumps but I, and my neighbors, have asked for them many times. Hope to get one soon. I love it when I get into my neighborhood and start doing my coasting thing and some jacka$$ gets right on me. I just smile and keep coasting. f those guys.