View Single Post
Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I pride myself in my situational awareness and my techniques do change depending on the traffic situation. Dead or injured aren't options in my book and it makes no difference whether the person who killed you is stupid, inattentive, or just wrong, you're still dead or spend the rest of your life in pain, or permanently disabled.

Just because you can drive a certain way legally does not mean you should impose your will on other drivers. Sooner or later you will aggravate the wrong person. Pop (still a good driver at 93) always told me "I would rather have an idiot in front of me instead of behind me". I will adjust my average speed to try to "play nicely" with others, but on occasion I will let them know that I just ain't interested in their little world of obnoxious tailgaters and red light racers.

It helps to be old and I'm sure many think I'm just a feeble old man who drives slower than most but I will intentionally make it difficult for someone to ride my rear end, just pulse a little higher and glide a little further. One driver wanted to stay two lengths behind me in a 45 zone, on a 4 lane road with no other traffic around. I coasted down to 25MPH before they finally passed me when I usually average just under the speed limit.

Understand that some drivers just tailgate others so they don't have to pay attention to anything else. They need a "bird dog".

My advice is to adjust your techniques to avoid coupounding the circumstances around you and contributing to an accident.

regards
Mech
This is so well said, I have little else to add.

Yes, you have the "right" to drive under the speed limit - but as Mech said, if it compounds the circumstances around you, you are contributing to an accident.

And now, let us not forget the old rhyme that applies to all driving, both slow and fast:
Quote:
This is the grave of Mike O'Day
Who died maintaining his right of way.
He was right, dead right, as he sped along,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XYZ For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (08-30-2014), user removed (09-03-2014)