View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I believe that we have discussed this on here, although I did not see it in a search.

Quote:
But starting in the 1990s, electronic aids such as active suspension combined with aerodynamic advances to make racecars so fast and so dangerous—contributing to the death of Formula One icon Ayrton Senna in front of a television audience of 300 million people—that rule-makers began slowing cars down. They banned the most exotic electronic aids. They intentionally compromised aerodynamic efficiency.
Quote:
It struck him that any spectator, no matter how clueless, could see the courage and talent of professional bikers. Racecars, on the other hand, hide their drivers' skills. Their giant wings produce so much grip that driving them looks effortless. The wings also generate a wake of turbulent "dirty air" that prevents cars from racing closely together, robbing races of drama.
Most Efficient Racecar | Popular Science

This is the video of the Toyota hybrid knocking the Deltawing off of the track, but supposedly, since the Deltawing was smaller than the rest of the car, the Toyota driver could not see it, about 32 seconds in:

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (08-30-2014)