View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 01:03 PM   #21 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
What I feel bad about is that enviornmental regulations are causing the price of brand new cars to go up and longevity to go down. Regulations on zinc in motor oil combined with ever thinner motor oils and tighter tolerances (with looser, lower friction piston rings) plus more environmentally friendly bearings mean that modern engines might not last anywhere near as long as older motors.
Where on earth did you get the idea that newer engines (or cars, FTM) don't last as long as older ones? Back in the "good ol' days" it wasn't at all unusual to do valve jobs, replace rings, head gaskets, main bearings, seals, and so on before the car hit 100K miles - and adding a quart of oil every couple of thousand miles was normal. And then there was chassis lubrication: anyone else remember grease fittings?

Back in the day - say 50 years ago - a new car was pretty much junk in 5-10 years. Now I expect my 2000 Honda and 1988 Toyota to last for at least another decade with only minor maintenance & repair.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesqf For This Useful Post:
mcrews (08-30-2014), PaleMelanesian (09-02-2014)