View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #22 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My aunt's brand new 1965 Cadillac wore the factory tires out in 6k miles. With my advice she replaced them with Michelins and they lasted until 70k miles and 13 years. I doubt that many here remember those days when a new Renault came with Michelins and when the tires were worn out the car was worn out.

Average life expectancy of cars has gone from 7 years to over 10 in the last 20 years. I'm seriously considering a 22 year old Nissan Sentra as my only car, which would free up thousands for the completion of the 3 wheeler project. I would not even consider that 20 years ago and many here drive cars with awhole lot more than 176k miles.

As far as honesty or dishonesty I think dishonesty is driven by convenience, when it used to be a matter of principle to the point of personal sacrifice. There are too many underemployed lawyers available for lawsuits against corporations and franchises in the auto industry who think dishonesty and misrepresentation of product will be beneficial.

Not that it does not happen, but it is typically in circumstances where real evidence is just not there or it's a matter of being told something that you know will be denied in any confrontation.

regards
Mech