View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I've only ever had a set of brake parts done. But any science lab with a vat of liquid nitrogen and clock has the setup.

As for Isotropic Superfinishing, that's not rocket science either (jk: it probably is). Eastwood company sells a desktop unit that polishes rusty nuts and bolts. I'm sure the whole story is on Youtube.

Quote:
that Scoobie motor is tranny forward, motor back, correct? If so, the critical space would be where the Scoobie tranny is. Otherwise, it looks the the MGR was made for the job!
You do better at descriptions, and you're starting to see the beauty of the whole thing. The VW transaxle doesn't weigh much more than 100lb. So I have the weight of the motor, a full tank of gas and the shift rod/lever to play with. For planning—how many pounds per kilowatt-hour?

Everything to the right with the cylinder bores is engine case. The rear trans mount is a plate bolted across the ends of the 'tuning fork'. The front mount is at the bottom of the center tunnel. I get to use the stock rubber mounts, or their polyuethane race-car red replacements. So I think I'm good on that.

Peak power's in the middle of the rpm band. The Lexus/Highlander probably has 28" tires. So maybe I can build an undervolted (288v) version with 26" tires as proof of concept; and then double the battery pack and go to 30" tires to put it out on The Salt.

Edit: I'm going to hold off on that pre-build thread, since the drivetrain should be available tomorrow. I should decide whether to go with the original thread in Aerodynamics, or start a new one here or in Ecomodder Central.

Last edited by freebeard; 08-31-2014 at 09:29 PM..