View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 05:02 AM   #37 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Define "simple". I'll agree that current technology is often different, but I'll take tracking down a code or sensor problem over e.g. trying to balance an SU carb setup, tune a conventional carb, file and gap distributor points, etc.

Then you have a whole spectrum of problems that just don't happen with modern engines, like tuning. Nor do I know that trying to fix/replace an electric power steering motor is any worse than doing the same with a hydraulic one - and at least you don't have to regularly check & replace the power steering belt. As for variable geometry turbos, CVT transmissions, and the like, I have a simple fix: I just don't buy cars that have these things. Any new technology needs a few iterations to work out the bugs.
Completely agree... carbs are a right pain in the behind when you're trying to tune them... just imagine if someone were to make a EURO V carb, the jungle of vacuum tubes and actuators it would be...

-

I like electronic throttles better than cable throttles... they're cheap and easy to replace. But while EPS requires less fiddly fluid changes, belt changes and hose maintenance... you can repair a leaky hydraulic rack... most electric racks are built to be non-service items (ergo... no replacement parts... whole assemblies only).