View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 AM   #35 (permalink)
samwichse
Thalmaturge

The Tinyvan - '07 Honda Fit Sport

Spicy Italian - '13 Fiat 500 Abarth

eBike - '94 Trek Mountain Track 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
If you're looking for a hatchback for the cargo space, you must look at the Fit. It's almost magic how big it is inside.

Mirage is good for mpg, but doesn't it only seat 4?
Pretty much this.

They made some pretty big MPG changes. The Fit is the gold standard for small hatch handling too... the less you slow down around a corner, the less you have to accelerate after .

My wife has an 07 with 140k on it, the only thing we've done is tires, brakes, and coil packs (Honda apparently got a bad batch from Beck & Arnley back around 2007/8, lots of complaints about failures around 80k miles).

Otherwise, the car gets great gas mileage around town, even for an automatic, even though it wants to shift stupidly late (you can force it somewhat with the manumatic paddles). I'm guessing this is one of the things they tweaked in the 15 model, but I'd still get the manual, because manuals.

Also, XYZ's statement about tiny hatches being for style and not really useful, clearly he's not actually ridden in a Fit. It's an amazingly useful car, and I can cram it full of literally twice the stuff as my Civic sedan. You can put a whole bookcase in there with only the narrow 60/40 folding seat down and still carry two people? I've carted dishwashers and ovens, lawn mowers and all kinds of dimensional lumber back there.

And the '15 model is actually slightly SHORTER overall than the '14, and still has more legroom in the back.

Sam