View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
sqidd
Uber Geek

Mr. Scary - '07 Ford Mustang GT Race Car

The Truck - '12 Ford F-150 Scab EcoBoost FX4

The 5.0 - '12 Ford Mustang GT Vert Brembo Premium

Da Foci - '14 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
The power the pump uses at 6000 is going to be something like 8 times greater than at 3000, so it's not unreasonable that they'd have trouble measuring it.

But just because they had trouble measuring it doesn't mean it's not significant. A few hundred watts is a solid few tenths of a gallon per hour.

Anyways I would look at the pulley diameter ratios and just run the water pump as fast as the OEM pump is when the engine is spinning at 2000rpm. I've heard people say that flow doesn't increase much past 3-4000 rpm on most engines, and you would think that they'd build in enough safety margin at 2000rpm. Maybe wire it up so that it pumps more water at higher throttle positions or something and slows down to 1200rpm otherwise.
I agree with all of that^^^^^^

Most mechanical pumps cavitate at higher RPM's anyway. They are set up to provide enough coolant flow at idle, low engine speeds, etc. When you spin them up they get out of their efficiency range.

I have a car with an electronic pump controller. It amazes me how little it actually runs the pump to maintain temp.