View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Not sure about the CD and frontal area question but I drive a 2011 Fiesta and you can see my MPG average for that car under my handle (old mechanic) in this post. You can also look at myfuellog for the last 27 k miles. I coast in neutral quite a bit but mycar wastotalled and rebuilt before I bought it so there is no warranty to worry about and you probably should not coast in neutral because it may giveFord an excuse to deny a warranty claim.

Anticipation of forced stops is paramount to better mileage. Timing traffic lights and avoiding gridlock type traffic stiuations will help a lot.
Conservation of momentum is critical. People blow past me all the time when they just have to slam on their brakesat the next red light, while I pass them with out slowing down since I know when the light will change. I can go through 42 lights in 40 miles and only have to stop for anaverage of 6 of 42 lights. Stopping a then accelerating again destroys your mileage very quickly.
I try to keep my upshift points below 3k RPM and also try to avoid delaying upshifts if possible.

regards
Mech