View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,597 Times in 7,080 Posts
Quote:
How about some details/more info on that car? Motor? Class? Speed?
In the other shots it reduces down to a dot on the horizon. Here's Bombshell Betty:

The talk I heard was that fences have to be longitudinal, as above; but the 'Vette passed tech inspection, so—who knows?

Quote:
Do you have more pics of this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_loudspeaker

Most of the wind tunnel results you see assume a flat plate:

Horn loudspeaker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's an example from Bonneville that attempts to exploit the principle.

I think the air expands and slows, raising the pressure, but aerohead is the one to explain that.

I see the 'bonnevette' as having a full height wheel spat with the outer half removed (which I believe is redundant); bleeding turbulence out the side where it's at the mercy of the ambient flow, instead of under the bottom where it can mix with underbody air.

Edit:
Quote:
I've never seen the Polymetal before. I just looked it up. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of that. How much does it cost?
Oh, right. The three materials are similar—plastic sheet with aluminum skin on one or both sides. Generally 3mm w/.007" skins, but 6mm is available and Grimco MaxMetal (which I haven't seen) has skins twice as thick. Generally available in 4x8, 4x12 and 5x10 sheets. Those choices are handy for fitting your patterns, or for example a 5x10 sheet would make a one-piece bellypan for a VW from the front bumper to the rear torsion bar housing in one piece.

I buy scraps for testing at the local hippy recyclers. Full or partial sheets are available locally at Multi-Craft Plastics at three price points: Walk-in, business, or Bu$ine$$. As I recall a 4x8 sheet was US$100-150.

I have have successfully rolled, braked and sheared Polymetal by hand (with an 18" lever arm). What I'm working on now is through-fastening.

Last edited by freebeard; 09-03-2014 at 11:34 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
sqidd (09-03-2014)