View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
OG VX
JDM hypeR mileR

The OG VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 68.64 mpg (US)
Update: No-Start Issue + Complete Intake Manifold + Heater Hose Overhaul

I hope everyone’s well. I’ve been away for a bit, due to a crashed HD on our Mac. I went out to start my car this past Wed morning (the morning after the Mac crashed) and the car would not turn over. When the key was turned to position III, lights on the dash came on, but no sounds, no action, nothing, nada... I was def scratching my head at that point. After much troubleshooting (battery, fuses, connections, etc...) I finally made a call to just remove the starter and take it to get it tested. The starter was the original OEM unit, and tested "fail" at Autozone. Seemed simple enough to just replace the starter at that point.

Since I missed work that day due to the issue, while I was removing the starter, I pretty much just decided to "go to town" on the car, moving forward with all the remaining mechanical/engine work I had planned to (eventually) do, but wasn't sure when I would have the time to get around to it. A list below outlines the work performed over the past week:

- Replaced gaskets for: Intake Manifold, EGR, Throttle Body, VTEC solenoid, Thermostat, IACV
- Replaced all heater hoses (around 9 total; including radiator and lines running to/from oil filter housing)
- Replaced thermostat
- Replaced starter (w/ lifetime warranty unit from Autozone)
- Coolant system drain and fill
- Tooth-brush cleaned engine block and engine bay (Dollar General oven cleaner worked great for removing the stuck-on grease from the block!)
- Removed decals from battery to clean up look
- Painted exhaust manifold with VHT Flame Proof “Aluminum” Paint
- Painted exhaust mani. heat shield + bumper bracket w/ VHT Blk Brake Caliper Paint (hi-heat).

After all the gasket and fitted-hose chasing-down and installing was completed, I went to fire up the engine. No start...still. No sound upon turning key, nothing...

That was on Saturday evening. By now I was nearly out of ideas. So, I went back to my good old friend, the internet. I found out that there is a SECOND rubber stopper pad on the clutch pedal assembly that can and does go bad. I had previously checked the first (lower; in plain view) stopper pad location, which looked like it was replaced in recent times with the (revised) neoprone pad. Fans of older Honda’s know that these “stopper pads” on the brake and clutch pedals go bad over time, causing all sorts of annoying electrical havic. However, I’ve never had the top (hidden) pad go bad on me before. Apparently when this (fun to get to go) lil’ guy goes to stopper-pad-heaven, the car won’t start, as the pad is designed to sit on the end of a lever that touches and closes the switch circuit that allows power to the starter when the clutch pedal is pressed. No pad, no start. Of course, I came to this internet epiphany on a Saturday evening, and all my local Honda dealers were closed on both Sunday and Monday for the holiday. Thankfully, after several parts store calls, my local Advanced Auto was able to source a Dorman replacement part (#74015) from their Gastonia wearhouse, and I had the part to install on the VX yesterday afternoon. To install the pad, I ended up (lightly) duct taping it to the end of a long flat head screwdriver. I removed the driver’s seat for clearance/comfort, and used a large flood flash light to get some visibility up under the dash. I then halfway duct taped the little pad to a long flat head screwdriver, and use the screwdriver to get the pad in place and leverage it into the mounting hole. It was...fun.

After all that, car started up just fine. Acceleration feels good. I'm getting up tomorrow morning to complete the following:

- Install proper (4 heat range plugs)
- Install new fuel filter
- Begin removing interior trim

I'll come back tomorrow with another post. Late and time for bed.

For now, here's some pics from the past week:

"Before" pic of the engine bay before cleaning:

The tools for the job (Dollar General Oven Cleaner not pictured)

Check out that filthy block!

Beat up hoses:

Dirty parts awaiting cleaning:

Parts that had been cleaned, awaiting install. Headlights were cleaned inside/out:

My method for staying organized during tear-down sessions:

92-95 Civics have one of the best looking Honda bumpers ever, IMHO:

Some parts getting fresh paint:

My lil' buddy (pic not mine; from internets) :

(continued next post)...

Last edited by OG VX; 09-06-2014 at 06:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to OG VX For This Useful Post:
user removed (11-09-2014)