View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
JBarr
EcoModding Lurker

Rustima - '00 Nissan Altima GXE
Team Nissan
90 day: 37.51 mpg (US)
Hello from Missouri

Hello all! Been watching this site for about a month with interest in fuel efficiency motivated by the fact that I am cheap. I commute about 400 miles per week 95% highway. I currently drive a 2000 nissan altima with a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed manual transmission all stock. When I found this site I was in search of information to build a 100 mpg car such as MAX and saw some people with geo metros that got very good mpg. Decided I would employ some of the eco-driving tips suggested her as an attempt to improve before I purchased a new car. The tips employed are 1) Drive speed limit 2) Engine on coasting down hills 3) constant throttle position up hills 4) reduced acceleration 5) traffic light timing. My previous fuel economy was between 25 and 31 mpg, last two fill ups I have been keeping a new log and have recorded 37.8 mpg and 40.9 mpg!! I thought this was unreal and even checked odometer with google maps (I record 100 miles for 100.2 miles on google maps). I might not be in a big hurry for the geo metro now.